Friday, August 09, 2013

Meet Amigurumi Willy - The Retro Inspired, Flat Faced, Boy Doll

Willy's Amiguru"Me"

My last post introduced you to the fabulous craft of Amigurumi and I showed you Molly Doll who was made for my daughter Molly.  After making Molly Doll I just had to make a doll for my son Willy too, and of coarse he wanted a doll made in his likeness just like Molly's.  So I set out to make Willy's Amiguru"Me" (hehe, isn't that cute!).  I wanted to try something a little different and I was inspired to try making a sort of abstract, retro inspired doll with a flat head like the old Raggedy Ann dolls.  It was really fun figuring this guy out and really simple to make!  As you can see I haven't been able to bring myself to make a face for him yet in fear that I will mess him up.  Willy thinks he is sad without a face.  What kind of expression do you think Willy Doll should have?

I will post the pattern soon but couldn't wait to get a couple pictures of him up after reading AmigurumiBB's Blog post about her flat-headed boy doll.  I just LOVE the curly hair that she gave him.  Check back here soon for Willy's free pattern and learn how I gave him his permanent curly locks and created the flat head and movable hands, feet, legs, and arms. :)



3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Willy is awesome! Love the way you managed him in one piece. So far I haven't tried making any of my dolls heads this way. Will give it a try. Love the way you left arms and legs soft. Still working on improvement of shoulder part. Would like this shoulder, arm joint to be more round and thinking might get it with hdc (maybe).
The other alternative I made were spread arms (ginger man shape) but that was really "dead" looking for a doll. So glad we both worked on the same project! Love it! :) I am sure we'll have much to discuss about in the future as well!
Keep up good work!
Vanja

Unknown said...

Steph, these are amazing! Are you hoping to put any of these in your shop? (Because you should!) You're so talented...way to go :)

Candace said...

Steph! I know you don't always keep up your blog, but I nominated you for a Sunshine Award! You're such an encouraging person to me. Love you!

Check out the details:
http://theloveliestway.blogspot.com/2013/12/sunshine-award-for-me.html